Dance

Dance
My wonderful husband on a perfect day!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Bradley's Birthday


What a wonderful celebration we're going to have on Saturday. My husband turned 29 on Thursday and, of course it's always special when someone has a birthday, but this one is extra special. It's the first time my husband has been home for his birthday in over seven years!!!!! Like I said in my profile, my husband is active duty serviceman in the National Guard so he is always travelling, whether it's to Iraq or North Dakota. So, in order to celebrate the occassion, I wanted to throw him a BIG birthday party with all of our close family and friends (30 people so far).

Here's what's on the menu:

Homemade Burgers / Hot Dogs
"Bubba's Baked Beans" (They are Bush's beans with extra brown sugar, barbecue sauce and cooked sausage - my husband loves them so I named them after him)
Ramaker Pasta Salad
Mango & Pineapple Salad (my own concoction)

Now you can't have a birthday party without a birthday cake, right? Well there is one BIG problem....my husband doesn't like cakes, pies, cookies or candies (weird, huh). However, he does like strawberries. I have discovered that he likes angel food cake with fresh strawberries. I even made him a strawberry cake with fresh strawberries in the batter and icing and he loved it!! Unfortunately, I couldn't find that recipe so I scowered the internet to find the perfect one. Hopefully, it will turn out okay. Will post on it later.

For his birthday dinner, I made his favorite, Chicken Pot Pie. Now, he likes a certain recipe and I like another recipe. So what did I do? I combined and mixed and omitted and made up my own recipe for chicken pot pie. How did it turn out?????? MELT IN YOUR MOUTH, HEAVENLY I was so proud. It was the first time I made up my own recipe. Sure, I make my own marinades, but this is different. It was a full blown meal where I didn't use a single recipe to go by. For those of you who want to give it a try, I have created a separate link with the recipe.


Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! Stay cool
* photo taken by Krista Lee Photography, Nashville, TN

No comments:

Post a Comment